Policy for Mullins Library Faculty Studies
- All members of the University teaching and research faculty (including non-tenure-track faculty), as well as emeritus faculty, are eligible for faculty studies.
- Graduate students may apply for a graduate carrel. Carrel assignments are governed by a separate policy (contact the Circulation Department).
- Faculty applicants must be working on a specific research project in order to be assigned a study.
- Applicants may print out the application online or stop by the Dean's Office (Mullins, Rm. 206) and pick one up.
- Applications must be approved by the relevant college dean and department head, and must be submitted to the library Dean’s Office no later than May 15 each year.
Disbursement of Assignments
Of the 66 available faculty studies, 60 percent (40 studies) will be assigned to tenure-track faculty members. Approximately 30 percent (20 studies) will be set aside for tenured faculty. Approximately 5 percent (3 studies) will be set aside for non-tenure-track faculty, and 5 percent (3 studies) for emeritus faculty.
Faculty in all these categories will be assigned studies on a first-come, first served basis within their category.
Length of Assignments
- The length of assignment for appointed tenure-track, tenured, and non-tenure track faculty is two years, maximum. These faculty may go through the application process again at the end of the second academic year, and their application will be reconsidered at that time.
- The length of assignment for emeritus faculty is one year, maximum. These faculty may go through the application process again at the end of the academic year, and their application will be reconsidered at that time.
- Occupants are asked to notify the library Dean’s Office if they no longer need their study before the designated maximum period has ended. Doing so will allow another applicant on the waiting list to make use of the study.
- Occupants may not unofficially sublease studies assigned to them. However, occupants may formally request to share a study with another eligible occupant (see above for eligibility). If a key is lost, the occupant assigned to that key must pay for the key replaced at the University's Key Office.
- Smoking, food, and small appliances (including electrical space heaters) are prohibited in faculty studies. Commensurate with library policy, drinks in spillproof metal or plastic containers may be used in the studies.