Arkansas Architectural Archives
Architecture and Landscape Architecture
The Arkansas Architectural Archives documents the designed environment in Arkansas and houses the collections of Architects and Landscape Architects with significant connections to the state. The Fay Jones Collection and the Edward Durell Stone papers are two of the most extensive and sought-after architectural collections. Mid-20th century architecture is a strength of the Archives, however the collections also include materials such as the work of Neil Hamill Park, winner of the prestigious 1931 Prix de Rome in Landscape Architecture, and photographs documenting the vernacular architecture of Arkansas by internationally recognized photographer Geoffery Winningham. The collections are diverse in content, containing models, drawings, photographs, and periodicals in addition to correspondence.
The Arkansas Architectural Archives is open Monday thru Friday 8:00 - 5:00. Appointments are recommended but not required.
Clarke, Albert O. (MC 620)
Correspondence, research notes, photocopies of articles, photographs, and excerpts from books and pamphlets, collected by Pamela Dubbell in preparing an article about Albert Oscar Clarke (1858-1935). Clarke came to Rogers, Ark., in 1904 on a commission from the Monte Ne Club and Cottage Company. He designed many homes, churches, and business buildings in northwest Arkansas. A finding aid is available at: http://libraries.uark.edu/specialcollections/findingaids/clarke.html.
Dinwiddie, James and Belle (MC 924)
Architectural drawings of churches (including the St. Joseph’s Catholic Churches in both Fayetteville and Tontitown), schools, business buildings, and residences in Washington and Benton counties by James Dinwiddie (1854-1942) and his niece Belle Dinwiddie (1895-1978). A finding aid is available at: http://libraries.uark.edu/specialcollections/findingaids/dinwiddie.asp.
Jones, Fay (MC 1373)
606 linear feet
A collection of materials pertaining to the architectural work of Fay Jones. Accessing the collection requires permission of the Head of Special Collections. In addition to residences across the United States, Jones designed several chapels, including Thorncrown and Cooper chapels. Jones (1921-2004) was a professor in the University of Arkansas School of Architecture from 1953 until 1988. A finding aid for the collection is available at: http://libraries.uark.edu/specialcollections/findingaids/mc1373/.
Segraves, Warren D. (MC 1186)
265 project drawings
Warren D. Segraves (1925-1973) was a Fayetteville, Arkansas, architect who designed many public buildings in the area, including the previous Fayetteville Public Library, SWEPCO Division Office Building, and the Unitarian Fellowship Meeting Hall. He also designed numerous private residences in the region. He graduated from the University of Arkansas School of Architecture in 1953 and established his own architectural firm in Fayetteville in 1956. A finding aid for the collection is available at: http://libraries.uark.edu/specialcollections/findingaids/segravesaid.html.
Smith, Alice Upham (MC 1176)
Alice Upham Smith was born in Duluth, Minnesota, in 1908. She attended the Cambridge School of Domestic and Landscape Architecture (1931-1932). She married Eastman Smith in 1933. The couple moved to Columbia, Missouri, where both taught at the University of Missouri and she established a private practice in landscape architecture. Smith moved to Mountain Home, Arkansas, in the early 1960's, where she continued her practice.
Smith authored and illustrated numerous journal articles and three books: Trees in a Winter Landscape (Holt, Rinehart and Winston, 1969), Patios, Terraces, Decks and Roof Gardens (Hawthorn Books, 1969), and A Distinctive Setting for Your House (Doubleday, 1973). A finding aid is available at: http://libraries.uark.edu/specialcollections/findingaids/aliceuphamsmith.html
Stone, Edward Durell (Two accessions)
120 linear feet, 22,000 drawings
Edward Durell Stone (1902-1978) was born in Fayetteville, Arkansas and attended the University of Arkansas from 1920 to 1923, then moved to Boston to take courses at the Boston Architectural Club, Harvard University, and the Massachusetts Institute of Technology. He was awarded the Rotch Scholarship to travel and study architecture in Europe from 1927 to 1929. Beginning in 1929, Stone worked with several architectural firms in New York before establishing his own firm, Edward Durell Stone & Associates, in 1936. This firm later expanded to include Edward Durell Stone, Inc., Hicks Drafting Corporation, and Torch Realty. Stone continued to practice architecture until 1974, when his health declined. A finding aid for the collections is available at: http://libraries.uark.edu/specialcollections/findingaids/stone/index.html
Stone, James Hicks (MC 1398)
James Hicks Stone was born in Fayetteville, Arkansas, in 1889, the older brother of architect Edward Durell Stone. He graduated from the University of Arkansas in 1906 and studied architecture at Washington University in St. Louis. He practiced architecture in Boston, working in the office of Shepley, Rutan and Coolidge, and later became the partner of Joseph D. Leland. He was involved with the Boston Architectural Club and acted as mentor to his younger brother who was an architecture student in Boston in the 1920s. James died in Boston in 1928. A finding aid is available at: http://libraries.uark.edu/specialcollections/findingaids/jameshicksstonesaid.html.
Trapp, George F. (MC 1909)
Drawings, etchings and related materials donated by Linda Wells Trapp, wife of George Francis Trapp. Trapp was an architect who practiced in Little Rock, AR. Most of the images in the collection date from Trapp’s trip to Europe in the 1920’s. The etchings were made during Trapp’s retirement in the 1970’s.
Vernacular Architecture of Arkansas: Photographs by Geoff Winningham (MC 1188)
Black and white photographic prints, matted and framed, of examples of Arkansas vernacular architecture, commissioned by the First Federal Savings and Loan Association of Little Rock. Buildings from all over the state are represented. Includes sixty-eight 16" x 20" matted black and white photographs, four 21" x 25" matted color photographs, ten large-format framed black and white photographs, and full color printed portfolio sets of six selected photographs from the collection entitled "Of The Soil”.
- Catherine Wallack
- Architectural Records Archivist
- University of Arkansas Libraries
- MULN 126
- 365 N. McIlRoy Ave