Introduction / Sources / History / Binational Programs / Board of Foreign Scholarships / Cooperating Agencies / Anniversaries / Grantees
Institute of International Education conference, February 19-20, 1969. The IIE is the oldest American agency for the exchange of persons, founded in 1919 by noted educators and statesmen. It assists the Board of Foreign Scholarships in the administration of Fulbright scholar grants for graduate students. Left to right: Hubert H. Humphrey; Kenneth Holland, president of the IIE; and Senator Fulbright.
Photograph by William C. Allen, Alexandria, Va.
President Gerald R. Ford meets in the White House Rose Garden with members of the National Association for Foreign Student Affairs (NAFSA) in May 1975. Created in 1948, the organization is a nonprofit membership association providing educational and support services to professionals in the area of international education. A recent name change resulted in NAFSA: Association of International Educators. In 1987, NAFSA named the University of Arkansas Libraries as the official repository for their records.
White House Photo.
|First Lady Rosalyn Carter meets with visiting senior Fulbright-Hays scholars in the White House on March 21, 1978. The scholars were participating in a Washington conference conducted by the Washington International Center in cooperation with the Council for International Exchange of Scholars. Established in 1947, CIES is a private agency cooperating with the U.S. government in the administration of Fulbright scholar grants for advanced research and university teaching. It also manages the Fulbright-Hays Program for visiting scholars in the United States. In 1986, CIES named the University of Arkansas Libraries as the official repository for their records.|