Manuscript Collection 1476
About the Collection
The collection consists of one item, a letter written by James Mitchell on November 27, 1874. It is written by hand on a folded sheet of stationery bearing a lithograph in green depicting University Hall, the building housing the Arkansas Industrial University. In the letter Mitchell addresses David Walker, a prominent judge, asking Walker to use his influence with the Arkansas General Assembly to obtain a sufficient appropriation to operate the new University.
The letter was received by the University Libraries as an anonymous gift and processed by Ethel C. Simpson, Special Collections, University of Arkansas Libraries, Fayetteville, Arkansas, in July 2002.
About James Mitchell
A biographical sketch of Mitchell is in Reynolds and Thomas, History of the University of Arkansas. He was born in Cane Hill, Arkansas, in 1832, where he received most of the sketchy formal education that he obtained alternately with farming. After serving in the Confederate Army in the Civil War he returned to Cane Hill and taught there until 1874, when he was appointed to the faculty of AIU in Fayetteville. He left there in 1877 to take up newspaper work first at the Arkansas Gazette. He and a partner purchased the Arkansas Democrat in 1878 and Mitchell served as its editor-in-chief until shortly before his death in 1902. He was a trustee of the University 1887-1895.