J. William Fulbright Papers
Manuscript Collection MS/F956/144-B
The second increment of the J. William Fulbright papers (primarily 1960-1975) comprises approximately nine hundred linear feet of materials and documents the tenure of the Arkansas Democrat in the U.S. House and Senate. The collection consists of constituent, official, and personal correspondence, memoranda, legislative bills, speeches, photographs, and other records related to the political, governmental, and diplomatic interests and activities of the senator. An important component of the papers concerns Fulbright's tenure as chairman of the Foreign Relations Committee for the years 1959-1975. Some of the files document his first term in the U.S. House from 1943 until 1945, and others pertain to his political campaigns, including the early ones in 1942 and 1944 for the House and Senate. The Fulbright speeches are an important part of the collection and include files for both Senate speeches and those given elsewhere.
Only series and subseries descriptions for the most frequently used sections of the collection are included in this online finding aid. See the Fulbright finding aids in the Special Collections Department for a complete series outline and all series and subseries descriptions for the second accession of the papers.
Series descriptions available online:
- Series 1. Office of the President, 1952-1974.
- Series 2. State Department, 1953- 1954, 1960-1974.
- Series 39. Judiciary Committee, 1960-1974.
- Series 47. Finance Committee.
- Series 48. Foreign Relations Committee, 1944-1974.
- Series 60. Legislative Reference Material, 1945-1975.
- Series 61. Arkansas Political Campaigns, 1945-1974.
- Series 62. Arkansas Political Affairs, 1945-1974.
- Series 63. National Political Affairs, 1945-1976.
- Series 64. Arkansas Schools, 1958- 1974.
- Series 65. Other State Agencies, 1961-1974.
- Series 66. Arkansas State Government, 1947-1974.
- Series 67. Arkansas State Projects by County, 1957-1974.
- Series 68. Arkansas Flood Control Projects, 1949, 1953-1974.
- Series 69. Statewide and Regional Projects, 1963-1974.
- Series 70. Miscellaneous Other Federal Projects, 1945-1974.
- Series 71. Senate Floor Speeches, 1945-1974.
- Series 72. Speeches Given Elsewhere, 1939-1976.
- Series 73. Miscellaneous Speeches, 1940-1973.
- Series 74. Published Statements and Speeches, 1943-1974.
- Series 78. Press, 1941-1976.
- Series 82. Joseph R. McCarthy, 1952-1955, 1960.
- Series 83. Records Pertaining to JWF's Tenure in House of Representatives, 1941-1945.
- Series 84. Election Campaigns of 1942 and 1944, 1936-1945.
- Series 86. Photographs and Memorabilia
- Series 88. Personal and Business Correspondence, 1932...1974. Sub-Series 3 and 4 are restricted.
- Series 89. JWF-Introduced Bills and Resolutions and Congressional Voting Record
- Series 90. Right Wing Materials, 1959-1969.
- Series 91. Miscellaneous Records, 1944-1974.
- Series 93. Boards, Commissions, and Committees, 1961-1974.
- Series 94. Office Staff Files.
- Series 95. Office Files, 1956-1974.
- Series 96. Audiovisual Material.