On August 1, 1946, President Harry Truman signed the Fulbright Act authorizing the scholarship program bearing the senator's name. The act established the Fulbright Program for the exchange of teachers, students, professors, and research scholars between the United States and participating countries. It amended the Surplus Property Act of 1944 so that foreign credits from the sale of U.S. surplus war properties abroad could be used for international educational activities. The senator and Assistant Secretary of State William Benton look on.
Photo by Harris and Ewing, Washington, D.C.