about James and Belle Dinwiddie
Dinwiddie (1854-1942) was born to James and Agnes Mitchell Dinwiddie
in Dunfries, Scotland. After living in Cincinnati, Ohio, for
a number of years, he came to Fayetteville (Washington County),
Arkansas where he became the city building inspector. Dinwiddie
became a well-known Fayetteville architect whose buildings included
St. Joseph's Catholic Church in Fayetteville, St. Joseph's Catholic
Church in Tontitown, Springdale Methodist Church, and Mountainburg
niece, Belle Dinwiddie (1895-1978), was born in Fayetteville
to Robert R. and Annie Dinwiddie. She practiced in both Fayetteville
and Rogers. Her designs included several Fayetteville Farm
Cooperative buildings, the First Baptist Church Educational
Building in Fayetteville, and additions to Welch's Grape Juice
Factory in Springdale.
about the Collection
papers contain twenty-one sets of drawings. James Dinwiddie's
drawings encompass sets 1-10, while Belle Dinwiddie's drawings
encompass sets 11-19. Drawings of Haralson and Nelson Architects
of Fort Smith comprise set 20; they were discovered with the
Dinwiddie drawings, but their connection with them, if any,
is unknown. Set 21 is a collection of unidentified drawings,
possibly those of Belle Dinwiddie. Some of the sets contain
general specifications and other papers. Numbers in brackets
indicate the number of items in each set.
Christine Hilker, of the University of Arkansas School of
Architecture, transferred these drawings to Special Collections
in January, 1988.
by Anthony J. Wappel, Special Collections, University of Arkansas
Libraries, Fayetteville, Arkansas, in March 1989.
of the Collection (176 items)
Series 1. James Dinwiddie. Drawing Sets 1-9.
1. Christian Science Church [Fayetteville] 1935 .
2. Fayetteville High School Addition, 1927 .
3. Greenland School Remodeling, ca. 1936 .
4. Mountainburg Church, n.d. .
5. George D. Owen residence [Fayetteville] 1926 .
6. St. Joseph's Catholic Church [Fayetteville] 1936 .
7. St. Joseph's Catholic Church [Tontitown] n.d. .
8. Springdale Methodist Church, ca. 1929 .
9. West Fork School, n.d. .
Series 2. Belle Dinwiddie. Drawing Sets 10-19.
10. Farm Bureau Cooperative Hatchery, 1951 .
11. Farm Bureau Cooperative Mill, 1950 .
12. Farm Bureau Cooperative Seed House, 1955 .
13. First Baptist Church Education Building, n.d. .
14. Hinton Brothers Company Store Addition, 1950 .
15. A. B. McConnell residence [Fayetteville] 1951 .
16. Ruth Riley residence [Fayetteville] n.d. .
17. Store addition on East Center Street for Dr. R. Logan
[Fayetteville] 1951 .
18. Welch's Grape Juice Co. Repair Shop, 1945 .
19. Winslow residence alteration and addition, 1956 .
Series 3. Other Architects. Drawing Sets 20-21.
20. North Washington School [Fayetteville] by Haralson and
Nelson Architects of Fort Smith, 1930 .
21. Miscellaneous drawings of unidentified projects by unidentified
architects, ca. 1945 .
modified: Friday, January 23, 2009