University of Arkansas College of Education Faculty Records

Manuscript Collection 130

Special Collections
University of Arkansas Libraries

365 N. McIlroy Avenue
Fayetteville, Arkansas 72701-4002
Phone: 479-575-8444
specoll@uark.edu

Machine-readable finding aid encoded in EAD by Amy Allen, 2013

Finding aid is written in English.

Table of Contents

Descriptive Summary

Creator
University of Arkansas, Fayetteville. College of Education
Title
University of Arkansas College of Education Faculty Records
Inclusive Dates
1914-1963
Identification
Manuscript Collection 130
Extent
.5 linear feet (1 box)
Language
Materials are in English.
Repository
Special Collections, University of Arkansas Libraries

Access Information

Please call (479) 575-8444 or email specoll@uark.edu at least two weeks in advance of your arrival to ensure availability of the materials.

Use Information

No Use Restrictions Apply.

No Interlibrary Loan.

Standard Federal Copyright Laws Apply (U.S. Title 17).

Acquisition Information

The University of Arkansas College of Education Faculty Records were donated to the Special Collections Department, University of Arkansas Libraries on August 4, 1971 by College of Education Office of the Dean.

Processing Information

Processed by Amy Allen and Janelle Pacheco; completed in November 2013.

Preferred Form of Citation

University of Arkansas College of Education Faculty Records (MC 130), Special Collections Department, University of Arkansas Libraries, Fayetteville

See Special Collections Citation Guide for more detailed information on how to cite specific documents from the collection

Historical Note

The University of Arkansas has undertaken the education of teachers since its inception in 1871. Teachers were first taught in the Normal Department, which was initially headed by the University President, Noah P. Gates. There were two options for the Normal course. The first option lasted two years while the second option lasted three years. Upon completion of the course, students were granted a L.I. (Licentiate of Instruction) certificate.

The Normal Department was involved with the Preparatory Department or Preparatory School for the purpose of practice teaching. The Preparatory Department was established to educate students who were not ready for college level classes. In 1911, the Preparatory Department was replaced with a Training School, specifically for practice teaching. In the beginning there were limited elementary and high school classes. Additional classes would be added in future years. The high school operated until 1962. The elementary school closed in 1966 with a kindergarten class remaining until the early 1980s.

Many changes took place in the department starting in 1913. The department moved into the newly constructed Peabody Hall, which was funded by a donation from the Peabody Fund. Also in 1913, James R. Jewel became head of the department. Under Jewell’s leadership, the Normal Department evolved into the School of Education, and then in 1916, it became the College of Education. Jewell was appointed the first dean of the newly established College of Education. In addition, the first four year degrees in education were awarded in 1916. Five Bachelor of Science degrees in education were awarded that year. Jewell served as Dean until 1927. Successive deans were as follows: J.O. Creager (1927-1929), Charles Prall (1929-1934), Henry G. Hotz (1934-1945), Henry H. Kronenberg (1945-1970), Fred J. Vescolani (1970-1984), John Pulliam (1985-1987), Roderick J. McDavis (1989-1993), Charles Stegman (1995-2000), Reed Greenwood (2001-2009), and Tom E. C. Smith (2010-2013).

This collection consists of two bound volumes of meeting minutes from faculty meetings at the College of Education along with supplemental folders. The folders consist of correspondence, curriculum changes, lists of committees and committee members, attendance records, catalogue changes, and graduation approval lists. Also included is correspondence from the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education notifying the University of Arkansas Department of Education of their first approval for accreditation in Teacher Education up to the doctorate level in 1958.

Scope and Content Note

Materials consist of meeting minutes, correspondance, reports, and general materials.

Arrangement of the Papers

Materials are arranged with meeting minute books first followed by supporting materials arranged chronologically.

Detailed Description of the Collection

The following contains a detailed list of the materials in the collection

Box 1

Box 1 Folder 1

College of Education Faculty Meetings Minutes Book , September 18, 1914 - May 29, 1934

Box 1 Folder 2

College of Education Faculty Meetings Minutes Book , October 4, 1934 - October 4, 1961

Box 1 Folder 3

College of Education Faculty Meeting Materials, 1946

Box 1 Folder 4

College of Education Faculty Meeting Materials, 1947

Box 1 Folder 5

College of Education Faculty Meeting Materials, 1948

Box 1 Folder 6

College of Education Faculty Meeting Materials, 1949

Box 1 Folder 7

College of Education Faculty Meeting Materials, 1950

Box 1 Folder 8

College of Education Faculty Meeting Materials, 1951

Box 1 Folder 9

College of Education Faculty Meeting Materials, 1952

Box 1 Folder 10

College of Education Faculty Meeting Materials, 1953

Box 1 Folder 11

College of Education Faculty Meeting Materials, 1954

Box 1 Folder 12

College of Education Faculty Meeting Materials, 1955

Box 1 Folder 13

College of Education Faculty Meeting Materials, 1956

Box 1 Folder 14

College of Education Faculty Meeting Materials, 1957

Box 1 Folder 15

College of Education Faculty Meeting Materials, 1958

Box 1 Folder 16

College of Education Faculty Meeting Materials, 1959

Box 1 Folder 17

College of Education Faculty Meeting Materials, 1960

Box 1 Folder 18

College of Education Faculty Meeting Materials, 1961

Box 1 Folder 19

College of Education Faculty Meeting Materials, 1962

Box 1 Folder 20

College of Education Faculty Meeting Materials, 1963

END OF COLLECTION

University of Arkansas Libraries
365 N. McIlroy Ave.
Fayetteville, AR 72701-4002
  • Phone: 479-575-4104
  • Text/SMS: 479-385-0803
  • Toll-free: 866-818-8115
  • Fax: 479-575-6656