University of Arkansas Coordinator of New Construction Materials

MC 136

Special Collections Department
University of Arkansas Libraries

365 N. McIlroy Avenue
Fayetteville, Arkansas 72701-4002
Phone: 479-575-8444
Email: specoll@uark.edu

Machine-readable finding aid encoded in EAD by Amy Allen and Alexsis Bell, 2012.

Finding aid is written in English.

Table of Contents

Descriptive Summary

Creator
University of Arkansas
Title
University of Arkansas Coordinator of New Construction Materials
Inclusive Dates
1924-1939
Identification
MC 136
Extent
1.3 linear feet (1 box)
Language
Materials are in English.
Repository
Special Collections Department, University of Arkansas Libraries

Access Information

Please call (479) 575-8444 or email specoll@uark.edu at least two weeks in advance of your arrival to ensure availability of the materials.

Use Information

No Use Restrictions Apply.

No Interlibrary Loan.

Standard Federal Copyright Laws Apply (U.S. Title 17).

Acquisition Information

The University of Arkansas Coordinator of New Construction Materials were donated to the Special Collections Department, University of Arkansas Libraries on December 3-6, 1971 by Minor Wallace.

Processing Information

Processed by Amy Allen and Alexsis Bell; completed in May 2012.

Preferred Form of Citation

University of Arkansas Coordinator of New Construction Materials (MC 136), Special Collections Department, University of Arkansas Libraries, Fayetteville.

See Special Collections Citation Guide for more detailed information on how to cite specific documents from the collection.

Historical Sketch

In the early days of the University there was no master building plan. The first master building plan was developed in 1925 by Jamieson and Spearl, an architectural firm from St. Louis, Missouri. This plan called for the demolition of every building then in use, including Old Main. All buildings would be built in the collegiate gothic style. This plan governed style and placement of new buildings for more than a decade. Buildings constructed under this plan include Engineering Hall, Ozark Hall, Vol Walker Hall, Gibson Hall, Gregson Hall, Chemistry Building, Agriculture Building, Home Economics Building, Greek Theater, Field House, and Football Stadium.

In 1946, architecture professor John G. Williams began teaching at the University of Arkansas. He became involved in campus planning, and the campus buildings began to take on a more modern feel. Williams was involved in campus planning in different roles through the Campus Buildings and Grounds Committee, later the Campus Planning and Landscape Committee and as an Architectural Advisor. Williams was asked to find a new campus planner in the 1950s. He chose James Ward, a professor in the Planning and Landscape Department of Yale University.

In the 1960s the Facilities Planning Office was created under President Mullins. This office existed separate from the Physical Plant. Another campus plan was created during this period, this time by Hamilton-Butt Associates. In the 1970s when the University became a state wide system, the Facilities Planning Office was moved to Little Rock. Other campus wide plans for building and landscaping which have been created over the years include the Arnold Butt Plans and the Edward D. Stone Jr. Plan. The latest master plan was created in 1998 by Sasaki Associates of Boston and San Francisco.

In the 21st Century, building and campus planning for the Fayetteville campus is directed by the Facilities Management Planning Group. The Planning Group is involved with new buildings, renovation, restoration, and demolition in addition to landscape, outdoor spaces, pedestrian areas and transportation planning.

Scope and Content Note

Materials consist of reproductions of campus building plan drawings and University of Arkansas Bulletin articles.

Arrangement of the Papers

Materials are arranged with drawing reproductions followed by bulletins.

Detailed Description of the Collection

The following contains a detailed list of the materials in the collection

Box 1

Box 1 Item 1

Proposed Campus Building Plan Drawing by Jamieson and Spearl (18.5" x 14"), ca. 1925

Box 1 Item 2

Proposed Campus Building Plan Drawing by Jamieson and Spearl (8" x 10"), ca. 1925

Box 1 Item 3

Campus Plan of Development Drawing, February 3, 1939

Box 1 Item 4

Stadium Plan Drawing, August 1937

Box 1 Item 5

University of Arkansas Bulletin, November 1924

Box 1 Item 6

University of Arkansas Bulletin, November 1928

END OF COLLECTION

University of Arkansas Libraries
365 N. McIlroy Ave.
Fayetteville, AR 72701-4002
  • Phone: 479-575-4104
  • Text/SMS: 479-385-0803
  • Toll-free: 866-818-8115
  • Fax: 479-575-6656