Table of Contents
- Descriptive Summary
- Access Information
- Use Information
- Acquisition Information
- Processing Information
- Preferred Form of Citation
- Historical Note
- Scope and Content Note
- Arrangement of the Papers
- Detailed Description of the Collection
- University of Arkansas 4-H House Alumni
- University of Arkansas 4-H House Materials
- Inclusive Dates
- MC 1693
- .5 linear feet (1 box)
- Materials are in English.
- Special Collections Department, University of Arkansas Libraries
Please call (479) 575-8444 or email firstname.lastname@example.org at least two weeks in advance of your arrival to ensure availability of the materials.
No Use Restrictions Apply.
No Interlibrary Loan.
Standard Federal Copyright Laws Apply (U.S. Title 17).
The 4-H House materials were donated by Virginia Rowland, the editor of the 4-H House Alumni Newsletter on February 7, 2007. Additional materials are expected to be added to the collection periodically.
Processed by Emily Rogers; completed in September 2008.
Preferred Form of Citation
University of Arkansas 4-H House Materials (MC 1693), Special Collections, University of Arkansas Libraries, Fayetteville.
The University of Arkansas’ 4-H House was organized in the fall of 1932. Providing room and board for nearly forty dollars per month, the 4-H House offered discounted housing for many young women from rural Arkansas. The only requirement of the house was that 90% of its residents be home economics majors.
The 4-H House was supported by the Home Demonstration Clubs of Arkansas. These clubs helped establish the first 4-H houses near campus, which the organization rented. The club often moved into different houses near campus in order to provide room to an increasing number of girls. As membership in both the University of Arkansas and the 4-H club increased, the club could no longer depend on these smaller rent houses to accommodate all of the young women who requested room and board. With more help from the Home Demonstration Clubs of Arkansas, $160,000 was raised to build a larger house. In 1951 the new Girls’ 4-H House was opened on the corner of Lindell and Douglass streets, providing rooms to 40 women.
Although the house had early popularity, interest began to gradually decline in the late 1960s and early 1970s. Finally in 1975, the 4-H House was sold due to dwindling membership which caused financial hardship on the club. Over the years the house exchanged hands several times. In 2002 an ownership battle began between the University and the house’s owner, Chi Alpha ministries. Eventually the University took ownership and demolished the house, using the land for parking lots.
The alumni of the 4-H House remain organized today. Currently, a bi-annual newsletter is sent to alumni and a reunion is held each year.
Scope and Content Note
Materials include alumni newsletters.
Arrangement of the Papers
Materials are arranged in chronological order.
Detailed Description of the Collection
The following contains a detailed list of the materials in the collection
|Box 1||Folder 1||
4-H House Alumni Newsletters, 1957-1967
|Box 1||Folder 2||
4-H House Alumni Newsletters, 1968-1977
|Box 1||Folder 3||
4-H House Alumni Newsletters, 1978-1987
|Box 1||Folder 4||
4-H House Alumni Newsletters, 1988-1992
|Box 1||Folder 5||
4-H House Alumni Newsletters, 1993-1997
|Box 1||Folder 6||
4-H House Alumni Newsletters, 1998-2003
|Box 1||Folder 7||
4-H House Alumni Newsletters, 2004-2007
END OF COLLECTION