Collison House Documentation

MC 1773

Special Collections Department
University of Arkansas Libraries

365 N. McIlroy Avenue
Fayetteville, Arkansas 72701-4002
Phone: 479-575-8444
Email: specoll@uark.edu

Machine-readable finding aid encoded in EAD by Krista Jones, 2010.

Finding aid is written in English.

Table of Contents

Descriptive Summary

Creator
Collison, Willie May Walker
Title
Collison House Documentation
Inclusive Dates
1949-1999
Identification
MC 1773
Extent
.5 linear ft. (1 box)
Language
Materials are in English.
Repository
Special Collections Department, University of Arkansas Libraries

Access Information

Please call (479) 575-8444 or email specoll@uark.edu at least two weeks in advance of your arrival to ensure availability of the materials.

Use Information

No Use Restrictions Apply.

No Interlibrary Loan.

Standard Federal Copyright Laws Apply (U.S. Title 17).

Acquisition Information

The Collison House Documentation was donated to the Special Collections Department, University of Arkansas Libraries, on June 24, 2008 by Jane Emde, the current resident of the Collison House in Bald Knob, Arkansas.

Processing Information

Processed by Morgan Holladay; completed in October 2008.

Preferred Form of Citation

Collison House Documentation (MC 1773), Special Collections Department, University of Arkansas Libraries, Fayetteville.

See Special Collections Citation Guide for more detailed information on how to cite specific documents from the collection.

Biographical Note

Willie May Walker and her husband, William Collison, lived in their previous home for sixteen years when Mrs. Collison decided to hire Estes W. Mann to design their new home. The Collisons had lived in Bald Knob since 1896 and the family was an important part of the community. Jim Collison, William's father, built a cotton gin, lumber yard, funeral home, had investments in the local bank, and owned thousands of acres of land.

Scope and Content Note

Documents included in the collection are the meticulous accounts of the construction of the ranch style house that Mrs. Willie May Walker Collison and her husband William Collison built and lived in together. The records were kept by Mrs. Collison from the time that the house was first being constructed until just before she died.

The Collison House, located in Bald Knob, Arkansas on North Main Street is on the National Register of Historic Places. The house was designed by Estes W. Mann who had completed his architecture degree at the Art Institute of Chicago in 1915, and went on to design many houses in Arkansas and Tennessee. The Collison house was one of the first ranch style homes with Colonial Revival influence. The house is one and a half stories, with a brick exterior, and a symmetrical facade. The house replaced an existing structure.

The Collison House Documents contain photocopied journal entries detailing various accounts of the construction of the house including sketches of the house, paint colors, and appliances.

Arrangement of the Papers

Materials are arrange by topic.

Detailed Description of the Collection

The following contains a detailed list of the materials in the collection

Box 1

Box 1 Folder 1

Collison House Sketches, 1976-1987, n.d.

Box 1 Folder 2

Kitchen Documentation, 1973-1988, n.d.

Box 1 Folder 3

Living Room and Dining Room Documentation, 1977-1999

Box 1 Folder 4

Bedrooms and Attic Documentation, 1979-1990, n.d.

Box 1 Folder 5

Bedrooms and Landry Room Documentation, 1972-1989, n.d.

Box 1 Folder 6

Gas and Electric Bill Statements, 1967-1984, n.d.

Box 1 Folder 7

Water Bill Statements, 1970-1983, n.d.

Box 1 Folder 8

General Interior Materials, 1951-1995

Box 1 Folder 9

General Exterior Materials, 1950-1996

Box 1 Folder 10

General Exterior Materials, n.d.

Box 1 Folder 11

General Household Materials, 1949-1995, n.d.

Box 1 Folder 12

General Domestic Materials, 1969-1989, n.d.

END OF COLLECTION

University of Arkansas Libraries
365 N. McIlroy Ave.
Fayetteville, AR 72701-4002
  • Phone: 479-575-4104
  • Text/SMS: 479-385-0803
  • Toll-free: 866-818-8115
  • Fax: 479-575-6656