Silas Hunt Materials

MC 1782

Special Collections Department
University of Arkansas Libraries

365 N. McIlroy Avenue
Fayetteville, Arkansas 72701-4002
Phone: 479-575-8444
Email: specoll@uark.edu

Machine-readable finding aid encoded in EAD by Krista Oldham, 2012.

Finding aid is written in English.

Table of Contents

Descriptive Summary

Creator
Hunt, Silas, 1922-1949
Title
Silas Hunt Materials
Inclusive Dates
1948
Identification
MC 1782
Extent
.1 linear feet (1 box)
Language
Materials are in English.
Repository
Special Collections Department, University of Arkansas Libraries

Access Information

Please call (479) 575-8444 or email specoll@uark.edu at least two weeks in advance of your arrival to ensure availability of the materials.

Use Information

Restrictions Apply: The original examination book is restricted due to fragility. Researchers should use the photocopy of the original examination book housed in Box 1 Folder 1.

No Interlibrary Loan.

Standard Federal Copyright Laws Apply (U.S. Title 17).

Acquisition Information

The Silas Hunt Materials were acquired by Special Collections, University of Arkansas Libraries, on July 25, 2008.

Processing Information

Processed by Krista Oldham; completed in August 2012.

Preferred Form of Citation

Silas Hunt Materials (MC 1782), Special Collections, University of Arkansas Libraries, Fayetteville.

See Special Collections Citation Guide for more detailed information on how to cite specific documents from the collection.

Biographical Note

Silas Hunt was born on March 1, 1922, in Ashdown, Little River County, Arkansas to Jessie Gulley Moton and R. D. Hunt. In 1936, Hunt and his family moved to Texarkana, Miller County, Arkansas where he attended Booker T. Washington High School. In 1941, Hunt graduated as class salutatorian and he enrolled at the Agricultural, Mechanical, and Normal College (AM&N) at Pine Bluff, Jefferson County, Arkansas. Hunt excelled academically and earned scholarships to pay for the most of his undergraduate education. While in college, Hunt was drafted into the United States Army following America's entry into World War II. He was stationed in Europe and after being severely wounded at the Battle of the Bulge, Hunt returned to AM&N and graduate in 1947 with a Bachelor's of Arts in English.

On February 2, 1948, Hunt, accompanied by former AM&N school mate Wiley Branton, Pine Bluff attorney Harold Flowers, and AM&N newspaper photographer Geleve Grice arrived on the University of Arkansas campus in Fayetteville, Washington County, Arkansas to meet with Dr. Robert A. Leflar, dean of the law school, and apply for admission to the law school. After reviewing Hunt's academic record, Leflar admitted Hunt to the law school. This signified the first time a black student had been officially admitted to a white Southern university since Reconstruction and the first ever admitted for graduate or professional studies. That spring, Hunt attended segregated classes in the basement of the law school. White students were not restricted from taking these classes, and in fact, between three and five students attended each of these classes regularly.

Hunt's graduate studies were halted by illness. He was hospitalized at the Veteran's Hospital in Springfield, Missouri, where he ultimately died on April 22, 1949, from tuberculosis. He is buried in the Stateline Cemetery in Texarkana.

Scope and Content Note

Materials in this collection include a photocopy of one of Silas Hunt's law school class examination books dated April 2, 1948 and the original examination book.

Arrangement of the Papers

Materials are arranged by topic.

Detailed Description of the Collection

The following contains a detailed list of the materials in the collection

Box 1

Box 1 Folder 1

Law School Examination Book, April 2, 1948 [Photocopy]

Box 1 Folder 2

Law School Examination Book, April 2, 1948 [Restricted]

END OF COLLECTION

University of Arkansas Libraries
365 N. McIlroy Ave.
Fayetteville, AR 72701-4002
  • Phone: 479-575-4104
  • Text/SMS: 479-385-0803
  • Toll-free: 866-818-8115
  • Fax: 479-575-6656