Union Baptist Church Records

MC 1819

Special Collections Department
University of Arkansas Libraries

365 N. McIlroy Avenue
Fayetteville, Arkansas 72701-4002
Phone: 479-575-8444
Email: specoll@uark.edu

Machine-readable finding aid encoded in EAD by Valerie Robertson, 2012.

Finding aid is written in English.

Table of Contents

Descriptive Summary

Creator
Union Baptist Church
Title
Union Baptist Church Records
Inclusive Dates
1834-2006
Identification
MC 1819
Extent
.5 linear feet (1 box)
Language
Materials are in English.
Repository
Special Collections Department, University of Arkansas Libraries

Access Information

Please call (479) 575-8444 or email specoll@uark.edu at least two weeks in advance of your arrival to ensure availability of the materials.

Use Information

Restrictions Apply: Due to fragility, patrons are required to use transcribed copy of Union Baptist Church Records Minutes, Book 1, 1834-1858.

No Interlibrary Loan.

Standard Federal Copyright Laws Apply (U.S. Title 17).

Acquisition Information

The Union Baptist Church Records were donated to the Special Collections Department, University of Arkansas Libraries, on April 19, 2009 by I.W. Hudson, Edward Este, Joe B. Dearing, and Lynn Gray of Harrison, Arkansas.

Processing Information

Processed by Valerie Robertson; completed in March 2012.

Preferred Form of Citation

Union Baptist Church Records (MC 1819), Special Collections Department, University of Arkansas Libraries, Fayetteville.

See Special Collections Citation Guide for more detailed information on how to cite specific documents from the collection.

Biographical Note

The Crooked Creek Baptist Church was organized by Samuel Bristow July 3, 1834 as a Missionary Baptist church. This church was started two years before Arkansas became a state in 1836 and was originally located in Carroll County; however the area later became a part of Boone County. The congregation met in the homes of its members until 1840 when a log church was built on a rocky slope north of the William Beller’s Springs, known now as Milum or Massacre Springs. In 1844, the church was taken over by Primitive Baptist and a number of the members and the pastor were expelled for holding Missionary Baptist principles. It is noted next to many names in the first record book “dis” (dismissed). The church remained Primitive Baptist until after the Civil War, but slowly began to moderate its views. During the Civil War services were discontinued due to the danger presented by hostilities. In 1866, services resumed. Many of the baptisms were held in the creek that runs alongside the church at its present site. After the church relocated, a wood frame building was built sometime in the 1860s. It was later torn down and a rock building was built on the same location in the later part of 1927. Today the church is located two and one-half miles south of Harrison on Highway 7.

The Crooked Creek Baptist Church was led in its early days by Elder George W. Baines, a noted Baptist pioneer in Arkansas, Louisiana and Texas. The church was responsible for the establishment of Baptist work in Boone County. The organization carried several names in the early years: Crooked Creek Church, later the Crooked Creek Church of the Regular Baptist, in 1880 was changed to the Crooked Creek Church of Regular Primitive Baptists and in 1906 as the Missionary Baptist Church at Union.

Scope and Content Note

Materials in this collection include minutes books.

Arrangement of the Papers

Materials are arranged in chronological order.

Detailed Description of the Collection

The following contains a detailed list of the materials in the collection

Box 1

Box 1 Folder 1

Union Baptist Church Records Minutes, Book 1, 1834-1858 (Transcription)

Box 1 Folder 2

Union Baptist Church Records Minutes, Book 1, 1834-1858

Box 1 Folder 3

Union Baptist Church Records Minutes, Book 2, 1858-1885

Box 1 Folder 4

Union Baptist Church Records Minutes, Book 3, 1885-1900

Box 1 Folder 5

Union Baptist Church Records Minutes, Book 5, 1906-1932

Box 1 Folder 6

Union Baptist Church Records Minutes, Book 6, 1932-1939

END OF COLLECTION

University of Arkansas Libraries
365 N. McIlroy Ave.
Fayetteville, AR 72701-4002
  • Phone: 479-575-4104
  • Text/SMS: 479-385-0803
  • Toll-free: 866-818-8115
  • Fax: 479-575-6656