Table of Contents
- Descriptive Summary
- Access Information
- Use Information
- Acquisition Information
- Processing Information
- Preferred Form of Citation
- Biographical Note
- Scope and Content Note
- Arrangement of the Papers
- Detailed Description of the Collection
- The First Christian Church of Fayetteville (Disciples of Christ)
- Fayetteville First Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) Records
- Inclusive Dates
- MC 1954
- .75 linear feet (2 boxes)
- Materials are in English.
- Special Collections, University of Arkansas Libraries
Please call (479) 575-8444 or email email@example.com at least two weeks in advance of your arrival to ensure availability of the materials.
No Use Restrictions Apply.
No Interlibrary Loan.
Standard Federal Copyright Laws Apply (U.S. Title 17).
The First Christian Church of Fayetteville (Disciples of Christ) Records were donated to Special Collections, University of Arkansas Libraries, on July 20, 2012, by Michael T. Morgenthaler, Church Board Chairman.
Processed by Cody W. Hackett; completed in June 2013.
Preferred Form of Citation
Fayetteville First Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) Records (MC 1954), Special Collections, University of Arkansas Libraries, Fayetteville.
See Special Collections Citation Guide for more detailed information on how to cite specific documents from the collection.
Fayetteville (Washington, County) First Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) was borne out of a local revival meeting conducted by Robert Graham and John T. Johnson and held in February 1848. At the close of the revival, the church was organized and boasted a membership of nearly 50 citizens. Robert Graham served as the church's first resident minister (1848-1858). During the 1850s, Graham founded Arkansas College (located where the current First Christian Church now stands), which was the first opened, degree-conferring institution to be chartered by the state. From 1858 through the first half of the Civil War, the church was helmed by Unionist William Baxter. While serving as a military hospital during the war, the church (as well as Arkansas College) was burned, forcing the congregation to worship for several years in a local Masonic Hall. Rebuilt in 1872, the church succumbed to fire once more in December 1912. Because of the numerous fires early in the church's history, many of the earliest congregational records are lost. A new church building was completed and dedicated in May of 1914. Though numerous renovations and enlargements have been added to the church over the course of the century, this structure continues to serve as the Fayetteville First Christian Church. More comprehensive church histories are located in the collection, see Box 1 Files 1-3, as well as in the publication, Fayetteville First Christian Church: Historical Notes from the First 160 Years (published by the First Christian Church, Fayetteville: Arkansas, 2009).
Scope and Content Note
Materials in this collection include church histories, congregational records (attendance, donations, meeting minutes), and legal documents.
Arrangement of the Papers
Materials are arranged by topic.
Detailed Description of the Collection
The following contains a detailed list of the materials in the collection
|Box 1||Folder 1||
A History of the First Christian Church, Fayetteville, Arkansas by N.M. Ragland, n.d.
|Box 1||Folder 2||
The First Christian Church Fayetteville, Arkansas (1848-1945) Preliminary Draft, 1968
|Box 1||Folder 3||
The First Christian Church Fayetteville, Arkansas: One Hundred and Twenty Five Years of Discipleship, 1848 to 1973 by Roy W. Roberts, 1973
|Box 1||Folder 4||
Paid in Church Subscription Records, 1881-1882
|Box 1||Folder 5||
Church Record Book, 1867-1884
|Box 1||Folder 6||
Contribution Record with Financial Reports, 1904-1915
|Box 1||Folder 7||
Church Meetings of the Official Board Records, 1917-1931
|Box 1||Folder 8||
Single Entry Church Ledger (with Meeting Minutes), 1924-1940
|Box 2||Folder 1||
Fayetteville First Christian Church, Abstract of Title, June 20, 1966
|Box 2||Folder 2||
Fayetteville First Christian Church, Abstract of Title, August 5, 1981
END OF COLLECTION