Wilson, Arkansas, Photograph Collection

MC 2252

Special Collections
University of Arkansas Libraries

365 N. McIlroy Avenue
Fayetteville, Arkansas 72701-4002
Phone: 479-575-8444
Email: specoll@uark.edu

Machine-readable finding aid encoded in EAD by Todd E. Lewis, 2019.

Finding aid is written in English.

Table of Contents

Descriptive Summary

Creator
Whayne, Jeannie
Title
Wilson, Arkansas, Photograph Collection
Inclusive Dates
circa 1930-1986
Identification
MC 2252
Extent
.3 linear feet (1 box)
Language
Materials are in English.
Repository
Special Collections Department, University of Arkansas Libraries
Abstract
The collection contains photographs of Wilson, Mississippi County, Arkansas, dating from circa 1930-1966.

Access Information

Please call (479) 575-8444 or email specoll@uark.edu at least two weeks in advance of your arrival to ensure availability of the materials.

Use Information

No Use Restrictions Apply.

No Interlibrary Loan.

Standard Federal Copyright Laws Apply (U.S. Title 17).

Acquisition Information

The Wilson, Arkansas, Photograph Collection was donated to the Special Collections Department, University of Arkansas Libraries, on October 13, 2017, by Jeannie Whayne of Fayetteville, Arkansas.

Processing Information

Processed by Todd E. Lewis in July 2019.

Preferred Form of Citation

Wilson, Arkansas, Photograph Collection (MC 2252), Special Collections Department, University of Arkansas Libraries, Fayetteville.

See Special Collections Citation Guide for more detailed information on how to cite specific documents from the collection.

Biographical Note

Wilson (Mississippi County, Arkansas) was founded in 1886 by Robert E. Lee Wilson to manage local logging and related operations of what would later become R.E. Lee Wilson and Co. Located in the flood plains of the Mississippi River, Wilson initially served as a labor camp. As land was cleared during logging operations, enterprises became more focused on agriculture, especially cotton. With increased prosperity, more workers were needed, and Wilson developed into a town for company employees with amenities including health services, housing, and schools. Wilson remained unincorporated until 1959.

Scope and Content Note

The collection includes more than 40 photographs. Images depict people and buildings in Wilson. Notable subjects include an actress named "Pitty" interacting with talent scouts from MGM Studios; resident Dora Merrill; a minstrel show featuring male performers in black face and women's drag; and the Wilson Theater. It should be noted that only a few photographs have identified dates; all photographs fall within the time span of ca. 1930-1966.

Arrangement of the Papers

Materials are arranged by subject in six folders.

Related Materials

Records relating to the Lee Wilson and Company Records include:

Lee Wilson and Company Records, MC 1289, 1830-1996

R.E.L. Wilson Plantation Photographs, MC 1870, circa 1939

Detailed Description of the Collection

The following contains a detailed list of the materials in the collection

Box 1

Box 1 Folder 1

People, 1950-1965

Box 1 Folder 2

"Pitty" and MGM Talent Scouts, undated

Box 1 Folder 3

Minstrel Show, undated

Box 1 Folder 4

Buildings and Houses, undated

Box 1 Folder 5

Buildings and Houses, undated

Box 1 Folder 6

Wilson Theater, undated

END OF COLLECTION

University of Arkansas Libraries
365 N. McIlroy Ave.
Fayetteville, AR 72701-4002
  • Phone: 479-575-4104
  • Text/SMS: 479-385-0803
  • Toll-free: 866-818-8115
  • Fax: 479-575-6656