Periodicals - Frequently Asked Questions

What are periodicals and serials?

Publications issued on a regular basis are periodicals. Weekly magazines, scholarly journals, and newspapers are all examples of periodicals. Serials are any periodicals, books, yearbooks, or indexes that are issued in a series. All periodicals, therefore, are serials but not all serials are periodicals.

Where can I find magazines and journals?

There are magazines and journals in Mullins Library and in all the branch libraries. Branch libraries have their own selection of periodicals in specific subject areas. Staff at each library can assist you in locating a specific title on the shelves.

How can I find the call number of a periodical?

To find a specific magazine or journal, choose Journal Title in InfoLinks, the library catalog, and enter the title.

How are the periodicals arranged?

In Mullins Library, current (unbound) issues of most periodicals, normally 1-2 years old, are shelved by Library of Congress call number in the Periodicals Room. A brief outline of how this system works can be found here.

What are bound periodicals?

Magazines and journals whose previous issues have been bound together into book form are called "bound periodicals". These have the same call number as the single, unbound issues in the Periodicals Room.

Where are periodicals from previous years?

Older (bound) issues are shelved by call number in the stacks on the first, third, or fourth floors of Mullins Library. Some older periodicals are available on microfilm or microfiche in the Periodicals Room.

What's the difference between microfilm and microfiche?

Microfilm is film on reels. Microfiche is film on flat cards.

Are there other microforms?

A Microcard is a 3 inch x 5 inch reduced-print, non-transparent card. A Microprint is a 5 inch x 8 inch reduced-print, non-transparent card.

How are microfilm and microfiche arranged?

Most microfilm and microfiche are arranged by Library of Congress call number.

Do microformed journals keep the same call number as the print journal on the shelf?

Yes, they do.

Can I get a copy from microfilm or microfiche?

From some of the microform readers you can save digitized images to a jump drive. You must provide your own medium. You can also save images to a file and email the file as an attachment.

There are no printers for the microform readers.

What does it mean when the location is Storage?

In order to conserve space, the Libraries have placed older volumes of many journals in an off-site storage facility. If the online catalog indicates the volume you need is in Storage, you can request it through the "Request this Item" button in the library catalog or request an article scan through RazorRush Document Delivery.

Where can I find newspapers?

The most recent issues of some domestic and international newspapers are kept on shelves at the back of the Periodicals Reading Room. Recent past issues are kept behind the Periodicals Desk. Older back issues of some of these are on microfiche or microfilm.

Does the Periodicals Room contain all the journals in Mullins Library?

No. It contains current issues of a selection of Mullins journals.

Can I check periodicals out?

Current journals and newspapers do not circulate. This policy is in place to assure equitable access for all patrons to the most current information available. Photocopiers that accept coins, bills, or copy cards are available. Bound periodicals in the stacks may be checked out.

How much does it cost to make photocopies?

Copies are 15 cents if you use cash and only 12 cents if you use a card.

Where do I get change?

You may get change in the Arkansas Union:

  • Club Red (main level)
  • First Security Bank (second floor)

Where can I buy copy cards?

Guest copy cards are available for purchase with cash at the VTS in the Copy Room. You can also add value to Guest copy cards there.

Where can I put Razorbuck$ on my Campus Card?

Cash can be added to your Razorbuck$ account at the VTS in the Copy Room. You can add value from your credit or debit card online through most of the computers in the library.

Can I charge photocopies to a departmental account?

No. See your department about obtaining a departmental copy card.

What are the Periodicals Room's hours?

The Periodicals Room is open any time Mullins Library is open. To see when the desk is staffed, see Mullins Library hours.

How can I contact the Periodicals Room?

You can call 479-575-5312, or send email to

University of Arkansas Libraries
365 N. McIlroy Ave.
Fayetteville, AR 72701-4002
  • Phone: 479-575-4104
  • Text/SMS: 479-385-0803
  • Toll-free: 866-818-8115
  • Fax: 479-575-6656