Dean of Libraries Search
Public presentation: April 24, 3:30-4:30 PM / Shollmier Hall, 250 Vol Walker Hall
View presentation recording
Public reception: April 24, 4:30-5 PM / Fred and Mary Smith Exhibition Gallery, 140 Vol Walker Hall
About the Position
The University of Arkansas Libraries seek a demonstrated intellectual leader to serve as Dean of Libraries at the flagship campus of the University of Arkansas System. The dean will provide the leadership, vision, and direction for the libraries that form the intellectual core of the campus. A nationally engaged scholar, the dean will advance the mission of the libraries and the wider university while serving as a major advocate for libraries in the state of Arkansas. The dean will provide a robust vision for serving the diverse needs and ambitions of students and faculty in the digital age; oversee the enhancement and expansion of both physical and digital collections; collaborate closely with colleagues within the libraries and the wider university community; and recruit and cultivate library faculty and staff. The dean will report to the Provost and Executive Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs.
The dean will set the direction for the University of Arkansas Libraries at a moment of great opportunity and revitalization. An agile and resourceful leader and effective communicator, the dean will seek to align services and programs with advances in technology, curriculum development, research and innovation, as well as with university ambitions in research and economic development.
An expert administrator with an understanding of faculty governance, the dean will oversee a staff of 159, including 70 faculty and professional staff members. The dean will foster collaboration within the university, demonstrate a commitment to diversity and inclusion, and support and enhance relationships within the region.
Chief among the dean's responsibilities will be the effective management, planning, and enhancement of fiscal resources; and the stewardship of endowments that support the libraries' ability to ensure rich resources, state-of-the-art technologies, outreach services, and instruction.
Responsibilities of this position include research, creative work, and service. A dossier will be required for appointment and hiring. The successful candidate must have demonstrated accomplishments in performance, scholarly activity, and professional service to meet criteria for appointment at the rank of Librarian / Professor with tenure at the University of Arkansas.
Review of applicants will begin the week of February 4.
Nominations and letters of application, including curriculum vitae and contact information for three professional references, should be addressed to:
Dean Peter MacKeith
Chair of the Dean of Libraries Search Committee
For more information and instructions on how to apply, see https://jobs.uark.edu/postings/30326.
Members of the Search Committee
- Peter MacKeith, Dean, Professor of Architecture
- Martha Anderson, Head, Digital Services Department, Libraries
- Molly Boyd, Assistant to the Dean, Libraries
- Debra Cheval, Budget Officer, Building Executive, Libraries
- Norm Dennis, Senior Associate Dean, Professor of Engineering
- Elias Dominguez Barajas, Associate Professor of English
- Larry Foley, Chair, School of Journalism and Strategic Media
- Mary Gilbertson, Head of Monographs, Libraries
- Claretha Hughes, Professor of Human Resource, Workforce Development
- Ben Hyneman, Board of Trustees (2008-18)
- Phillip Jones, Associate Librarian, Libraries
- Kellie Knight, Assistant Vice Chancellor for University Development
- Stephanie Pierce, Head, Physics Library, Libraries
- Jennie Popp, Associate Dean, Honors College
- Joshua Youngblood, Rare Books Librarian, Special Collections Instruction and Outreach Services Unit Head, History Librarian, Libraries