The University of Arkansas Libraries Multimedia Services Department provides a media conversion service to support the teaching and research activities of the University.
This service includes the transfer of media from older formats to newer formats or to digital formats. The media conversion service is by arrangement only. To obtain this service please contact the Multimedia Services at at 479-575-5517, email firstname.lastname@example.org, or stop by the Multimedia Services desk to fill out a Media Conversion Service form. Filling out a form does not guarantee a service. Services will be left up to the discretion of the department.
- VHS to DVD (or video file format) for classroom use
- DVD to video file format for online video
- Transcoding video files to another file format or to hard disc
- Cassette tape to CD (or audio file format)
- LP to CD (or audio file format)
Please review copyright guidelines and fair use documentation before submitting a media conversion request.
The copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) governs the making of photocopies or other reproductions of copyrighted material. Under certain conditions specified in the law, libraries and archives are authorized to furnish a photocopy or other reproduction. One of these specific conditions is that the photocopy or reproduction is not to be “used for any purpose other than private study, scholarship, or research.” If a user makes a request for, or later uses, a photocopy or reproduction for purposes in excess of “fair use,” that user may be liable for copyright infringement. The University libraries reserve the right to refuse to accept a copying order if, in its judgment, fulfillment of the order would involve violation of copyright law.
For checking out media equipment and media software/technology support, please visit U of A Student Technology Center at Arkansas Union, Third Floor.
For guidelines of using copyrighted materials in online classes, please read Copyright Policy at the University of Arkansas.
Other useful information regarding using copyrighted media materials:
- Fair Use Guidelines for Educational Multimedia http://copyright.lib.utexas.edu/ccmcguid.html
- Fair Use and Media Literacy http://www.cmsimpact.org/fair-use/related-materials/codes/code-best-practices-fair-use-media-literacy-education