Periodicals - Frequently Asked Questions

What are periodicals and serials?

Publications issued on a regular basis are periodicals. Weekly magazines, scholarly journals, and newspapers are all examples of periodicals. Serials are any periodicals, books, yearbooks, or indexes that are issued in a series. All periodicals, therefore, are serials but not all serials are periodicals.

Where can I find magazines and journals?

There are magazines and journals in Mullins Library and in all the branch libraries. Branch libraries have their own selection of periodicals in specific subject areas. Staff at each library can assist you in locating a specific title on the shelves.

How can I find the call number of a periodical?

To find a specific magazine or journal, choose Journal Search in OneSearch.

How are the periodicals arranged?

In Mullins Library, current (unbound) issues of many periodicals, normally 1-2 years old, are shelved by Library of Congress call number in the Lindley and Kaneaster Hodges, Jr., Reading Room. A brief outline of how the Library of Congress system works is available.

What are bound periodicals?

Magazines and journals whose previous issues have been bound together into book form are called "bound periodicals". These have the same call number as the single, unbound issues in the Lindley and Kaneaster Hodges, Jr., Reading Room.

Where are periodicals from previous years?

Many older (bound) issues are housed in the Library Annex or by call number in the stacks on the third or fourth floors of Mullins Library. Some older periodicals are available on microfilm or microfiche in the Lindley and Kaneaster Hodges, Jr., Reading Room.

What's the difference between microfilm and microfiche?

Microfilm is film on reels. Microfiche is film on flat cards.

Are there other microforms?

A Microcard is a 3-inch x 5-inch reduced-print, non-transparent card. A Microprint is a 5-inch x 8-inch reduced-print, non-transparent card.

How are microfilm and microfiche arranged?

Most microfilm and microfiche are arranged by Library of Congress call number.

Do microformed journals keep the same call number as the print journal on the shelf?

Yes, they do.

Can I get a copy from microfilm or microfiche?

From the microform readers you can save digitized images to a flash drive. You must provide your own flash drive. You can also save images to a file and email the file as an attachment.

There are no printers for the microform readers.

What does it mean when the location is Library Annex?

In order to conserve space, the Libraries have placed older volumes of many journals in an off-site storage facility. If the volume you need is in the Library Annex, you can request a copy or scan through OneSearch.

Where can I find newspapers?

The most recent issues of some domestic and international newspapers are kept on shelves at the back of the Lindley and Kaneaster Hodges, Jr., Reading Room. Recent past issues are kept behind the Multimedia Desk. Older back issues of some of these are on microfiche or microfilm.

Does the Lindley and Kaneaster Hodges, Jr., Reading Roomcontain all the journals in Mullins Library?

No. It contains current issues of a selection of journals.

Can I check periodicals out?

Current journals and newspapers do not circulate. This policy is in place to assure equitable access for all patrons to the most current information available. Free scanners are available to make copies of unbound periodicals. Bound periodicals in the stacks may be checked out.

What are the hours of the Lindley and Kaneaster Hodges, Jr., Reading Room?

The Reading Room is open any time Mullins Library is open. See Mullins Library hours.

How can I contact the Lindley and Kaneaster Hodges, Jr., Reading Room?

You can call 479-575-5517, or email