Introduction / Sources / History / Binational Programs / Board of Foreign Scholarships / Cooperating Agencies / Anniversaries / Grantees
An amendment to the Fulbright-Hays Act, signed into law by President George Bush in January 1990, changed the board's formal name from the Board of Foreign Scholarships to the J. William Fulbright Foreign Scholarship Board.
President's Board of Foreign Scholarships, Washington, D.C., December 11, 1953. Left to right: Philip Willkie, attorney, Rushville, Indiana; Dr. Francis S. Smyth, dean, Medical School, University of California; Helen C. White, professor of English, University of Wisconsin; Dr. Martin R. P. McGuire, professor of Greek and Latin, Catholic University of America; Dr. Charles S. Johnson, president, Fisk University; Dr. Frederick L. Hovde, president, Purdue University; Col. John N. Andrews, personal representative of the administrator of Veterans Affairs; Dr. Walter Johnson, chairman, Department of History, University of Chicago; Russell L. Riley, director, International Educational Exchange Service; Dr. Samuel M. Brownell, U.S. commissioner of education; Dr. Francis J. Colligan, executive secretary of the Board of Foreign Scholarships; Donald B. Lourie, undersecretary of state for administration; Senator Fulbright; and Joseph B. Phillips, deputy assistant secretary for public affairs.
Department of State Photograph.
Swearing-in ceremony for new members of the Board of Foreign Scholarships, Washington, D.C., March 16, 1967. Left to right: Dr. Fredrick B. Pike; Dr. Teruo Ihara; Dr. William G. Craig; Dr. John M. Stalnaker; Dean Rusk, secretary of state; Dr. John Hope Franklin, chairman, Board of Foreign Scholarships; Lloyd N. Hand; Edward E. Booher; and Dr. James A. Turman.
Photo: Robert H. McNeill. Department of State Photograph.
Senator Fulbright with Lewis Webster Jones, president, University of Arkansas. October 24,
1951. President Jones served on the Board of Foreign Scholarships from 1949 until 1952. Hoyt
Purvis, director of the Fulbright Institute of International Relations, was recently named chairman
of the board, now called the J. William Fulbright Foreign Scholarship Board.