- Manuscript Collections by Title
- Manuscript Collections by Subject
- Topic Guides
- About the Manuscript Collections
- Using Manuscript Collections
About the Manuscript Collections
Manuscript collections include personal, professional, and family papers; business and organizational records; and other unique, typically unpublished historical documents in a variety of formats, from scrapbooks to correspondence to digital media. They offer primary sources for research, exploration, and discovery on a variety of topics, many of which relate to Arkansas and the Ozarks region. Our collection development policy is available online.
Each collection is most commonly described by a finding aid, a guide to a collection and its contents. The majority of our finding aids are available online, and we continue to work on converting remaining print finding aids that are currently only available within the Special Collections Reading Room. Contact Research Services (email@example.com) if you have questions about any collection.
Manuscript Collections by Title
Browse an alphabetical listing of manuscript collections by title.
- Robert Ridgway Case, Sr. Papers
- Materials related to the life and military service of Robert (Bob) Ridgway Case, Sr., a decorated World War II veteran, including two journals detailing Case's experiences as an airman and as a prisoner of war in Barth, Germany.
- Ulrich Littman Papers
- Correspondence, memoranda, reports, and other published and unpublished writings, mostly regarding the formation and operation of the United States Educational Commission in the Federal Republic of Germany.
- DeDe Long International Education Papers
- Correspondence, reports, publications, minutes, directory information, schedules, pamphlets, photographs, and other documents from international education-related organizations with which DeDe Long was involved during her time at the University of Arkansas.
- Mary Dengler Hudgins Arkansas Traveller Scores
- 5 printed scores, 1847-1905, of tune "Arkansas Traveller" (or Traveler), some with traditional related dialogue; 1 printed pamphlet containing Mose Case version of tune and dialogue, 1864; 1 unpublished score of "Hymn of Arkansas," with words by Hudgins, 1971; 1 mimeographed concert program, 1971.
Manuscript Collections by Subject
Browse collections by broad subject area:
- African American History and Culture
- Agriculture and the Environment
- Architecture and Fine Arts
- Authors and Literature
- Business and Professions
- Civil Rights
- Folklore and Folklife
- Government and Politics
- Music and Performing Arts
- Personal and Family Papers
- Time Period: Civil War and Reconstruction
- Time Period: Cold War to Clinton
- Time Period: Colonial and Antebellum
- Time Period: Gilded Age and Progressive Era
- Time Period: World War I to World War II
- University of Arkansas History
- Women's Studies
Informational guides on selected topics, including listings of manuscript and library resources:
- International Education
- Arkansas Architectural Archives
- Arkansas Maps
- Arkansas Photograph Collections
- Civil War
- Commonwealth College
- Environmental History
- Japanese Americans Interned in Arkansas
- Literary Figures
- Little Rock School Integration, 1957
- Oral Histories
- Public Officials
- Women's Studies
Using Manuscript Collections
Using our manuscript collections most effectively requires an on-site visit to Special Collections, although limited remote research assistance may be available. For information about doing research in Special Collections, see the following guides, or contact Research Services at firstname.lastname@example.org.